Monday, October 31, 2011

Judge Anne Segal, Ticket Fixer? Exclusive Interview Reveals the Truth

 Last year, Judge Anne Segal was officially reprimanded for interfering in her son's speeding ticket case. Without knowing the specifics of this reprimand, some believed the judge to be guilty of showing favoritism to her son by "fixing" his ticket. In this exclusive interview, Judge Segal clears up the misconceptions associated with the reprimand.


Tucson Truth: Judge Segal: could you explain why you received a reprimand from the Arizona Commission on Judicial Conduct?

Judge Segal:  My son Joseph received a speeding ticket two weeks after I was elected to be the Pima County Justice Court Justice of the Peace for Precinct One. As soon as I learned about his citation, I asked our chief clerk to transfer his speeding ticket from the Pima County Justice Court to the Tucson Municipal City Court. Apparently she forgot to do so before his court date, and as a result my son’s license was suspended. 

I asked about it again, and also requested that his license be reinstated so the ticket could be transferred to the Tucson City Court. This was viewed as an ethical violation because I asked about my son’s speeding ticket two separate times. During the election, my other son, Stephen, received a ticket for trespassing and my then-opponent heard his case. I asked the same clerk to transfer Stephen’s case to city court, and she did.  I thought this was the correct procedure. I didn’t know it was improper until the presiding judge, Lilly Felix (also known as Maria Aguilra) reported me to the Commission on Judicial Ethics. 

TT: So, did you fix your son's ticket?

Judge Segal: Absolutely not. I never said anything of that nature. I don't  speak that way; I don’t use slang. I barely fix dinner.  Joseph went to traffic school after the case was finally transferred. In fact, we both went to traffic school because I also received a speeding ticket around the same time. 

TT: If you didn't fix the ticket, then why were your actions characterized that way? 

Judge Segal: I have no idea. Apparently an employee—I was never told who—said that I walked into the court employee’s lunchroom on my third day as a judge and just announced to a group of strangers that I had "fixed" my sons ticket. It is an absurd accusation. Judge Felix wrote in the letter to the Commission that I had reportedly made that statement, but the alleged declarant was never identified. I remember asking one of the employees about the suspension of a driver’s license for not paying for a civil lawsuit. In fact, I think I said, “That doesn’t seem fair. I wonder how they can fix that?” It had to do with the loss of a license after a lawsuit from a car accident. It had nothing to do with my son or his ticket.

The Commission reprimanded me for asking about my son’s ticket and asking about the suspension of his license. Apparently, I either should have hired an attorney to make the request, or had my son handle the case himself. Unfortunately, he lives in California and was panicked that his license was suspended.  This all started because the chief clerk forgot to tell me that she did not transfer his case before his court date.

TT: Why was the statement that you were being reprimanded for "fixing" the ticket published so many times in the newspaper? The Arizona Daily Star, for instance, used particularly accusatory language in their version of events.

Judge Segal: I have no idea. A version of the article was published over 11 times. The reporter never spoke to me, and she never published the statement that I sent to her.  Honestly, I think the whole thing was sensationalized.

TT: Since the allegations of ticket-fixing were false, how do you feel about having received the reprimand?

Judge Segal:  I have the upmost respect for the Commission on Judicial Ethics and appreciate their dedication to the integrity of the judicial system. I think that the reprimands are intended to help guide and teach judges to be aware of their responsibilities. Unfortunately, the reprimands are not published, and a reporter can pick and choose to publish whatever she or he chooses.  \With the newspaper publishing what it chooses, it was not a learning experience but rather a public flogging.

TT: What was the process of your reprimand? Did you have a fair chance to present your side of things?

Judge Segal:  Unlike the people who appear in court, I was never able to have a contested hearing. I was never able to present sworn testimony or cross-examine any of those who made the accusations against me. The Commission only considered the written accusation made by Judge Felix and my written denial. My attorney didn’t follow the procedures necessary for me to have a hearing before the Commission. I think if one judge makes an accusation of misconduct against another judge, a hearing should be mandated.  

TT:  How do you feel about the negatively-slanted newspaper article that was repeatedly published about these events?

Judge Segal:  Ashamed.  I feel that everyone thinks of me as being crooked or dishonest. The worst thing you can do to a judge is damage her reputation. I feel that opportunities that I may have had in leadership in Arizona or with the judiciary have been tainted or thwarted by this accusation of dishonesty. Quite frankly, I feel that it has ruined my professional standing in the community. I have been an attorney for 35 years. I am licensed to practice law in four states and I have my PhD. I have accomplished a lot and feel that I am only known for being someone who “fixes” tickets because of a third-hand rumor. It’s not fair.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment